Friday 21 September 2012

I'm going to eat you little fishy fish pie

I finally made it to the local market on Thursday to get some fresh fish to make fish pie.

There was plenty to choose from and ended up with smoked fish and white fish (wish I could remember what type! I know it wasn't cod) and salmon.

Anyway, it got made into an exceedingly good fish pie and when I go back next Thursday for more I will just ask for the same again. One of the benefits of shopping locally!

Here is what I did. By the way, there are no quantities stated because it depends on how much fish you start with. I managed to make three pies us two mini ones for Miss Maisie.

Boil some peeled potatoes.

Put smoked and white fish into a saucepan, plus some salmon and/or prawns if you like. Cover with milk and simmer for a few minutes until the fish is just cooked and flakes. Drain and reserve the milk.

Sauté some onion and leek in butter until soft and mix with the flaked fish. Add some frozen peas.

Make a white sauce using the fish flavoured milk (whisk milk, butter and flour over a low heat). Add extra milk to make up the quantity.

Pour the white sauce over the fish and vegetables, then top with mashed potato. Sprinkle some cheese on top.

Bake in the oven until the sauce is bubbling and potato is golden.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment